How 3M Gave Fans a Voice While Driving Engagement
3M Racing, a department within 3M, leverages its relationship with the racing world and NASCAR driver Greg Biffle to drive brand exposure and awareness alike. Because they understand the importance of fan engagement in the sports marketing world, 3M Racing strove to give their customers a voice, and the opportunity to interact with the brand in a meaningful way. At the same time, they were seeking a way to promote their products and grow their social fan base.
“I’m not a graphic designer or app developer so Promotions was invaluable to me. I was able to build an entire contest app in-house, saving 3M money on extra development." — Amber Campeau
Their solution? Create a social contest powered by Spredfast Promotions called #3MThrowback, spanning Facebook and Twitter. The contest would give 3M Racing fans the opportunity to pick which 3M throwback logo appeared on Greg Biffle’s car during the GoBowling.com 400 race at Pocono Raceway. To personalize the contest and up the potential reward, after voting, fans also entered a sweepstakes to win the chance to “ride shotgun” with Biffle by having their name appear above the passenger’s side window of the 3M-branded car. Promotions empowered their internal team to build the contest entirely in-house, eliminating the need to outsource a developer or graphic designer.
How they made it work:
- Built the contest internally thanks to the simplicity of Spredfast Promotions
- Promoted the campaign via social platforms, websites, internal publications, press hits, and publicized support by other companies and celebrities
- Promoted the contest offline via a hashtag on the back of Biffle’s No. 16 race car at Sonoma Raceway, through the campaign’s culmination at Pocono Raceway.
- Encouraged fans to vote for their favorite 3M throwback logo, which would adorn Biffle’s car on race day
- Captured professional photo of Greg Biffle standing next to the winner’s name at the track, then autographed and shared it with the winner
- Used Spredfast reporting to monitor engagement trends and optimize strategy as the campaign progressed
The #3MThrowback Race contest engaged 3M Racing’s current fan base while also broadening it, attracting new social fans on Facebook and Twitter where fan count grew by 7% and 6% during the contest. Spredfast reporting showed the highest referral traffic to the app came from Facebook mobile, providing 3M with an important insight for the future. Entry submissions gave 3M Racing valuable fan data and, thanks to Promotions, 3M saved thousands of dollars building the contest in-house. The campaign was a success: it provided 3M with valuable information about their fan base, increased their following, drove engagement, and promoted their products—all while giving their fans a voice in the company's decision-making process.
Base image for header illustration provided by Bill McChesney (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bsabarnowl/) and has been modified from the original. Used under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/).