How General Motors Found a Best-in-Breed Social Media Management Solution with Spredfast
General Motors is a customer-first company, and the General Motors Social Media Center of Expertise (CoE) exists to keep GM’s social media efforts aligned with that identity. The CoE knows that to be truly customer-first, a company must have a strong and trustworthy social presence, so it decided to reevaluate GM’s social media management software to better deliver on that promise. The Social Media CoE, in working closely with General Motors IT, needed to find the best listening, engagement and customer care tools to deliver a first-class experience across social for its fans. The CoE serves more than 800 users in seven international regions across 9 GM brands, so this solution needed to be both scalable and flexible.
Evaluating social media software is no easy undertaking, especially at a company the size of General Motors. Even so, the CoE rose to the occasion by thoroughly vetting more than 20 vendors, eventually determining that Spredfast would best help GM achieve success. Spredfast worked with the CoE at astounding speed to train and onboard its more than 800 users in less than 30 days.
To support its needs for deep listening and cross-channel marketing, the CoE additionally chose Spredfast’s integrated partners Crimson Hexagon and Opal.
How They Made it Work
- Conducted a diligent requirements-gathering and prioritization process with all brands and regions weighing in from day one.
- Worked in close partnership with GM’s internal IT as well as Legal and Privacy teams throughout the entire sourcing process.
- Solicited feedback from key stakeholders through weekly vendor demonstrations, ensuring early-buy in on the selected vendors.
- Managed hands-on global pilots to validate key use cases and narrow down the list of potential vendors.
- To provide the most strategic recommendations to stakeholders selecting software, factored in both the maturity levels of users across the globe and various use cases for the software.
- Educated GM brands and markets on new vendors through a comprehensive tool-readiness guidebook that they distributed through a global newsletter, webinar and office-hour sessions.
- Led company-wide rollout by coordinating all onboarding, training and communication to global stakeholders.
- Tasked GM IT to rewrite more than 20 legacy social applications to integrate with Spredfast Experiences or Promotions, which it did within two months.
- Ensured a seamless transition to new software by monitoring current users and maintaining internal compliance procedures.
- Managed quarterly adoption audits and training sessions to educate new users and re-educate current users across the enterprise.
This rigorous evaluation and implementation process allowed the General Motors Social Media Center of Expertise to build an even stronger foundation for its social media management. GM is better positioned than ever before to create a first-class social media experience for its customers across all global brands. With its best-in-breed tool stack anchored by Spredfast and its integration capability with Crimson Hexagon and Opal, GM continues to refine their social media strategy and is able to go deeper on understanding the social consumer and more effectively reach a wider audience.